I’m often asked, “How do you pack for a four-month trip?”
Carefully! It’s impossible to pack enough clothes to last 4 months.
The only thing we check is our ego. We never check our luggage. All of our possessions have to fit in a wheelie carry-on suitcase and a medium-sized backpack.
Remember the mix-and-match children’s clothing line Geranimals? Created for kids! An approach to which I subscribe. Mix-and-match items where every top can be worn with every bottom create a more diverse wardrobe.
Temperatures on this adventure will range from the low-40s to the mid-90s. I might look like a fool carrying around a down jacket when it’s 90 degrees but my coat also makes for my DIY down pillow. I pop my jacket into my homemade pillowcase secured by Velcro at one end and voilà. My comfort item which I will use more than anything.
Shoes – what grief! They take up so much space. Fashion takes a backseat (hence checking the ego) to what’s practical. On this trip, I’m taking my Altra Running Shoes (stuffed with pills and electronic items), Dansko Beatrice clogs, and flip-flops. I cringe.
Inside my suitcase:
- Dark blue jeans
- Venice wide-leg pants from Athleta
- Northface Aphrodite 2.0 pants
- Athleta Avenue wide leg pants
- 2 lightweight cotton dresses that cover my arms and knees (conservative for Muslim countries)
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 4 short sleeve t-shirts
- 2 short sleeve dress shirts
- 2 long sleeve casual shirts
- 1 long sleeve pullover can be dressed up or down
- 2 tank tops
- Dansko Beatrice shoe
- Altra Lone Peak Running Shoes
- Flip flops
- Medicine and cosmetics
Inside my pack:
- Black poncho – serves as a makeshift blanket as well
- Lightweight Altheta Uptown Hooded Puffer down jacket (bought used on Poshmark) – the inners for my pillow
- Super lightweight pullover windbreaker
- Under Armor lightweight zipper-up jacket
- Camera and gear
- iPad and Kindle
I’ve been packed and ready to go for two weeks.
Then two weeks became three when we both got super sick and had to postpone our trip……